Wednesday, March 4, 2009

this is so much worse than online dating

This was me this morning as I got ready to go out job hunting:

My face was all broken out, as usual. My makeup looked like it was done by a twelve-year-old, or by someone never wears makeup anymore because she doesn't have a job. My hair had static in it. My clothes looked nice (thrift store finds, thank you very much), but they felt completely unnatural. I wanted to stay home and sob.

But I forced myself to descend the stairs, slowly, gripping the handrail and tiptoeing in my high-heeled boots. I felt like a fool. My mom smiled and complemented my thrift store clothes, and I staggered out the door.

This is me now:

"Whew!"

I put in one application and brought home three more. I also have an interview tomorrow with a temp agency. And, in a few minutes I'll be back to applying for jobs online.

It appears my dream of becoming a cat wrangler may have to wait a bit longer, as I've reached a point where I can no longer afford to hold out for the ideal job. So I'm looking for a job, period.

I've sold two men's shirts on ebay, but I screwed up on the first one and may have to cancel the sale. I have tons more stuff to list, but the pesky job search is taking priority at the moment and my career as an ebay entrepreneur is off to a very slow start.

But I have coffee, I have my laptop (have I ever mentioned how much I adore my laptop?) and I have my cats.

Life is good, and I no longer feel the urge to sob.

1 comment: