Wednesday, March 11, 2009

this is me being dramatic

This has been the most incredibly overwhelming day...very unproductive, lots of time spent pacing, spacing, and sleeping off my anxiety.

I had the best interview ever this afternoon, with a well-known rescue organization here in Tulsa. I'd responded to an ad for a pet adoption counselor, but that spot was already filled. The woman who emailed me (I had no idea what her position was) said another spot might open up soon. I told her what kind of pay I was hoping for (ideally), and by some miracle she emailed me again instead of chucking my resume in the trash.

After I assured her I was still interested in spite of the pay, she invited me for an interview. I didn't know anything about the position I'd be interviewing for, and I didn't know who I'd be talking to either.

The interview was at 3:30 today, and by 2:00 I was all ready to go. Nerve-wracking!

Turns out the lady I met with was the founder, and the position we talked about doesn't exist yet. However, she liked my resume and wanted to see if I'd be interested in a PR job, provided she gets approval for it. She was planning to discuss it with the board of directors tonight.

I think she liked me...I'm pretty sure I held up well when she questioned me about how much thought I've given to leaving the corporate world for animal rescue. The idea of public speaking terrifies me, and I think that concerned her a bit. But, if I read her correctly, I don't think she had ruled out the possibility of taking a chance on me.

I haven't been able to concentrate on anything today. I don't know if I'm excited, or hopeful, or terrified, or just completely dumbstruck. "How do you feel about television?" as an interview question is one I'm familiar with from TV Guide, but it was completely shocking in the context of this particular interview. I believe she was referring to things like taking a dog or cat on a local news show, which really isn't that scary if I think about clutching a helpless animal for dear life the whole time.

Oh, I forgot to mention we spent the entire interview shouting over barking dogs...kick ass!

This evening I found out things aren't going well with my brother and his wife (my two nephews' parents), and that news isn't sitting well with me. I don't want to go into detail, and there's nothing I can do about it...so I'm just processing information and trying not to freak out.

This would be a good time to stay up all night drinking beer and eating M&Ms, but unfortunately I'm out of both.


p.s. There's no excuse for my typing tonight. I've already caught at least a dozen ridiculous typos, and I suspect there are many more. Let's just cut me some slack today, okay?

2 comments:

  1. mmm - M&Ms. peanut?

    I'm so excited for you!! You have to get this job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear how it turns out. Ssending you good luck vibes!

    ReplyDelete