Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Happy New Year and All That Stuff

Ryan and I just spent a week in Philly seeing friends, catching up on the latest sordid details of life at TV Guide, and visiting some of my old haunts. We made two trips to Kitty Cottage, and it felt like going home. I realized all over again how much I love that place and all its endearing occupants.

My little friend Alissa (who I love like my own and would adopt if I had extra rooms and a full-time cat nanny) seemed happy enough to see me, but she was so doped up on anti-depressants that I hardly recognized her. It was tough to see my feisty girl like that, and to leave her behind--again!--but what can I do? With Michele's help, I got to see a little of her old spunk, and that gives me hope. Maybe this will be her year to get adopted and begin her life as a devoted and ridiculously pampered lap cat.


The trip brought on a lot of old thoughts and emotions I've managed to avoid since I've been in Tulsa--things both personal and TV Guide-related. There were a couple of times when it all got a little overwhelming, but in general it was a healthy experience that reminded me how happy I am with the life I have now. No more TV Guide stress, no more suburbs crowded with irritated and impatient people, and no more lonely, messy apartment...no more of lots of stuff I don't need.

Hands down, my favorite memory of the whole visit (and there were many to choose from) was the time I spent on Eric's kitchen floor, laughing my drunk ass off with Sara and Janine. Sara, who's so perceptive and intelligent and sweet that I wish I could hire her as my life coach. Janine, who always had my back and always seemed to know just what I needed.

It wasn't even funny, the thing we were laughing about...at least, not funny enough to fall on the floor and carry on like we did. But it was cathartic and extremely uplifiting. Thank God for laughter, and for old friends who never change too much.

Second place goes to one or both of the times I took Ryan to Kitty Cottage. I really enjoyed seeing him interact with the cats; he's a natural, and he's almost as much of a sucker for those cats as I am! I'm a lucky, lucky girl.

2 comments:

  1. AWWWWWWWW! YOU VISITED KITTY COTTAGE!?!!?! (okay, why am I so excited about that? LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you got to visit the cottage! I wish I didn't live a million miles away because that kitty would so be coming to live with me!
    I have read your blog for years but I think this is the first time you have ever told us you worked for TV Guide. Cool!
    Old friends are always such a treat to spend time with. No one knows you quite as well as old girlfriends.
    You are looking fabulous my dear!

    ReplyDelete