Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I'm Still Here

I've been on a bit of a hiatus lately, I guess. It doesn't take long for subjects like family dysfunction and unemployment angst to get old, and that's all I've had on my mind---well, except for being all mushy and in love, which can get equally old (for readers, but not for me!).

Plus I went through a few days of being so stressed out and freaked out that I wasn't good for much of anything. I haven't been returning phone calls or answering emails. But I think I'm getting a grip on things again now.

My parents seem to have backed off a bit, and it helps that I've been at Ryan's house since Sunday. Unfortunately, the icy weather didn't allow for the job-hunting I wanted to do, so I've been playing housewife instead. (Doesn't sleeping in, watching talk shows and surfing the web count, if I also wash a couple of dishes and clean the litter boxes?)

My little orange kitty friend Perch is excellent company while Ryan's at work. She can usually be found in my lap, in my face or following me from room to room, and I find her ridiculously, irresistibly adorable.

As far as snide comments go, my sister was all too happy to fill in while my parents took a break last week. Something about how I said her cat's biting habit is unacceptable (it IS, and it hurts like f***!) launched her into an absurd tirade about how at least her cat isn't boring like mine, who hide all the time and cry for their Mommy.

(For the record, my cats never bite or scratch people. But they are absolutely terrified of my sister, because there's nothing gentle about her and she's not an animal person at all. That's part of the reason her cat bites, I imagine. I'm just sayin'.)

Making fun of my cats, really? That's just stupid. Still, it pissed me off and I had to leave the room so things wouldn't get uglier. To my surprise, my parents came to my defense---after I left the room!

Anyway, that was last week, and I'm over it.

So that's about all that's going on here. I'm snowed in (iced in?) and loving it, although I'm starting to get a little stir crazy. I've got nothing else of consequence to write about, but Lost is on tonight and for that I am filled with joy.

4 comments:

  1. I saw the ice storm on the news this morning and thought of you.
    Sometimes parents suck and siblings suck and there is nothing we can do about it.
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right about your sister and why the cat bites. Stay warm

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude. move with with Ryan. ;-) or me. Heh..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it does count when you do some dishes and clean the litter box. I say so! Plus, I'm laid off since December, so I get to set the terms.

    Thank you for the follow on Irish Gumbo! I'm happy to have you on board, always nice to have another voice in the choir. Welcome!

    Peace,
    IG

    ReplyDelete