Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Is It Me?

I've been spending a lot of time lately trying to figure out what's going on with me and why I find it so hard to adjust to new jobs. Consider my history since leaving my supervisor position at TV Guide and moving back to Oklahoma:

1. Began volunteering sporadically with a local animal rescue group, but eventually quit because it wasn't like Kitty Cottage and I couldn't stand the board member I had to work with.

2. After interviewing with two of Tulsa's largest rescue groups, accepted a job at a veterinary clinic in Oklahoma City, which I quit after three weeks because I couldn't stand the people I worked with and their shitty notion of teamwork (nor could I bear the knowledge that the freezer in back held dead animals waiting to be cremated).

3. Got a great temp job I'd really love to stick with, but some days I feel I might lose my mind because I can't stand the girl I work with.

Now, I consider myself to be an incredibly diplomatic and patient person, but there's no denying the pattern here. And the fact that I openly admit to liking animals much more than I like people doesn't help my case.

In my defense, it's perfectly normal to have some trouble adjusting to new jobs after working in the same place for nine years.

But I'm not quite ready to claim this as solely my problem. I'm still clinging to the notion that I've found myself in two bizarrely fucked up work environments where functioning normally is nearly impossible.

As much as I'd like elaborate on this theory, I'm finding it difficult to write about my experiences. The fiasco with the veterinary job was so emotionally trying that I actually felt heart broken...devastated, even. It's still painful to think about it. And the current job situation is so baffling that I honestly can't tell from one day to the next if I'm in a hostile work environment or just sitting next to one crazy bitch.

So I'll leave it at this for now: I don't know what my problem is, but it's quite possible everyone else is at least as crazy as I am.

2 comments:

  1. It *is* you, but not in the negative way you might think. As you get older, you just become less willing to put up with other people and their bullshit. Not a bad thing, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it makes you feel better, the crazies at TV Guide have gotten exponentially crazier. I'm not sure if anywhere is safe!

    ReplyDelete