Wednesday, November 5, 2008

one of my cents' worth

The last few years have been a discouraging and confusing time for me, politically; maybe it goes back to a fear of anger and confrontation. Although I've learned a lot about how healthy it is to disagree constructively, I'm still the ultimate diplomat. I don't mind conflict as much as I used to, but I do cringe when it gets heated. And I've been really disenchanted with the political landscape of the last few years. Call me too sensitive, but at times I've found the viciousness between left and right to be heartbreaking.

The other night I saw some people holding up signs for their candidate at a busy intersection, and I heard a barrage of horns honking in support. And that was when I saw the other side of it all: a belief in something instead of opposition to someone...hope instead of hatred.

Of course, my own struggles pale in light of the decades of racism and ignorance that have scarred our country. And now we've elected a black president! I don't think it ever seemed outside the realm of possibility to me, but when I think of generations before mine who saw times when a black president seemed like nothing but a distant dream...I can't imagine how they must feel today.

Maya Angelou gave me a taste of it on CBS News this morning. "I am so proud," she said. "I am filled, I can hardly talk without weeping. I am so filled with pride for my country. What do you say? We are growing up!"

It's a new day. So can we start healing now?

2 comments:

  1. As much as I would love to hop aboard your healing train I don't know if the scared, uneducated, biggoted people will allow it to leave the station. For all the love and hope for the future I have seen today I have seen hate and ignorance 10 fold. I am scared by the vehemence I have seen come from some Americans today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Michelle's comment. I'm just surprised at the ugliness. The sad thing is....if McCain had won, I'd bet you that there wouldn't be as much pettiness from the Obama supporters.

    ReplyDelete